Blog Archive

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Elegance of the Hedgehog


My friend Maggie gave me the book and told me that I would love it. It has been about a year and I have been trying very hard to do so. She has always suggested wonderful books. So I read for a while, left it for a while,read some more. I took it to Vegas and decided I was not going to leave until it was done and darn it, I was going to love it.


I mentioned my issue to my good friend Lori Mann. She asked what page I was on and I told her 195. She expressed some concern about my falling in love with a book I had almost finished.


Then it happened. I read the last page and the last paragraph of the last page:






I have finally concluded, maybe that's what life is about: there's a lot of despair, but also the odd moment of beauty, where time is no longer the same. It's as if when strains of music created a sort of interlude in time, something suspended, an elsewhere that had comes to us, an always within a never. Yes, that's it, An always within a never.


I know it is a bit weird but for a lawyer's mind that sort of statement is perfect. We take the issues that seem are Never going to change and then we Always work to make it better. Same with our time in Cancer World. We always fought against Nevers.

(Karen was our Nurse Practitioner and now our great friend. We could not have made it to 18 without her.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog leaves the book far behind - quite lovely.