Blog Archive

Monday, July 18, 2005

WE are so close to the end of this last intense phase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


WE are so close. I can taste it. She recieved her last dose of Chemo for this stage today. Yes, a reason to celebrate.

Lots of drama though regarding the blood transfusion of the 17th. As you know, Lori came to help with that process. M-E's numbers were dropping but in a very slow fashion. I was supposed to take her back for a re-check on Saturday. Being the medical expert that I have become, I decided to not do that. Remember, I was in medical school at age 5.

I let M-E go to Whitney's birthday. Around 9:30 a.m. I called the fellow on call at children's and tried to convince him we should just have a nice week-end. Well, being early July, I was connected to Scott. (Three new fellows started on July 1st, both men are named "Scott") He introduced himself to me. I guess I said out loud "oh your one of the new fellows, you are going to make me follow the rules." Well don't forget, I never did receive the "Doctor as God" gene.

He is good. He used the "it might not be safe to wait" line. It will take some time to get these new guys under control. Anyway, I finally took her. Her number came back and she had a Hematocrit of 20.2. They ordered the blood for Sunday. No need for platelets, they were on the way back up.

So Sunday, I rouse a very sleepy and angry child from her slumber, and we headed to the hospital. All was routine, she was pre-medicated with benedrly and tylenol, she had her own covers and her pillow. The floor was slow so we were in a room by ourselves. and then the dripping begins. 3 units, 4-5 hours. She slept through bags 1 and 2 and most of 3.

Alison brought us some lunch around 2 p.m. She did not have an easy time, there was a fire alarm, we were not really checked in, the doors were closed , the elevators were not working, the usual...... Alison walked in and noticed that M-E was wheezing a bit. M-E complained that she was a bit itchy, I told her to get over it. We began to eat. Then it all went to hell. Big hives, large red, much sought after lips, major wheezing and lots of doctors and nurses. Lots of large doses of medication, IV, and lots of nervous people.

M-E had a hystimine huge reaction to the blood. Needless to say, with all the benydryl they gave her, she slept most of the rest of the day. Theory is that her body did not like the left over white blood cells in the last bag. Most people that are tranfused have an instant problem. She decided to wait until we were not watching. Or more importantly, I was not paying attention. She is carefully watched by those that know better during the entire process. They are much smarter than I. The doctor was waiting for her tranfusion to finish before she went home. ( I guess I missed that class when I was 5.)

After all that we have been through, would you have called the nurse about a small itchy spot or a cough? Well I will next time.

It was scary for M-E. She did not like her throat closing and her air ways getting restricted. She did not like the medications in large, but helpful doses. She knows that when there are 4 nurses and doctors all fussing around, there is a seriouis problem.

I must say that it was a good reminder, This is not over yet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In an earlier post you mention you gave M-E a to-do list and she had a meltdown. Sally, I give Samantha a to-do list and she also is likely to have a reaction. I don't think 12 or 13 year old "women" do well with mother-written to-do lists. You might take a poll as to what is typical.

Anonymous said...

Sally, just wanted to say thank you, it's my opinion you are the best mother in the world, & still isn't it funny that when I need to make a decision at least a big one you are the one I call too, by the way the business formal wear you were completely right, I told him we should call you--
Take care love your old roomie..

Anonymous said...

my post was just to mention that your judgement is great & lists were probably right on..