Blog Archive

Friday, October 22, 2004

She is Up Three Quarts

I took her in and they gave her two liters of fluid. Amazingly she was able to eat a PB&J. It evidently goes likes this: If you are dehydrated, you get nauseated and then you cannot eat or drink and you get more nauseated and then you cannot eat or drink and then when you do finally try, you throw up and then you cannot eat or drink.

I didn't wait for a serious crash. I took her in for a "bolus of saline". The plan was to be there by 10:00, out by noon and then to school. Oh, yes there is that time vortext hospital thing that confounds me every time. I am evidently a very slow learner.

We arrived. Vitals. She is almost down 30 pounds. Her heart rate was 123. They drew her blood and she got hooked up to the fueling station. Drip, Drip, Drip...............750 drips a minutes for 9 million minutes. Within 30 minutes, she was starting to look more herself. Hydration is such an under rated concept. I figured we were almost out of there and then the test results came back.

ANC 160 down from 588. Conclusion:the chemo is working. Result: No school. She had been there for only a few hours on Wednesday and was more than ready to go back. Friday is a dance and she was sent the perfect Faux Rabbit Vest and has new portable hair and ........Can you just hear the heart breaking?????????????????????????

My stoic little girl just said, "But Mom that is just not fair!!!!! " No arguments, no complaints just a short poinent sad statement.

They then set me up to "administer infusion therapy" at home. We came home with half of the Pacific Ocean (Saline) for the refridgerator and a friend for my now much beloved BlueBerry (I have chosen to call mine a BlueBerry. It is Blue and everyone needs to know that it is stupid to call it a BlackBerry by the way.) The new friend is $4000.00 handheld IV pump. It is very cute. Lots of buttons and the ability to beep at a whim for many strange and yet to be understood reasons. It came with tubes and white syringes and lots and lots of instructions.

You can not believe how happy it made Mary-Elizabeth to go to bed with a small beeping thing and a liter of saline. I tried to disconnect her a few minutes before it was done at six this morning and she would not let me. Every bit of fluid went into her PIIC line. I seem to learn a new thing or two each day.

Well I have to do some constructive work and pick up the house. The house fairies are not being cooperative. Stuff seems to remain in the same spot where I left it. Imagine that being the case.

Oh, here is something to ponder. We have two Katsura trees in the front of the house. One turned and lost its leaves about three weeks ago. The other waited almost two weeks to turn and has finally decided to drop its leaves. The thing that is curious is that the Slow Dropper is also budding out as if it is Spring. I guess over achieving is every where.

No comments: