Blog Archive

Thursday, April 14, 2005

We are Sticking our Heads out a bit

Month 9. Oh, thank God we are moving through this process. I say that with more confidence all the time. My new chant, three more months, three more months, three more months. Oh, I hope that is all we have to do.

We have had a fair amount of drama over the issue of a Portland field trip. The art class is going on the train to visit several cool places in Portland. Galleries, museums, the Art Institute, the Grotto and a play. We were supposed to stay at the Marriott and have a pool. The person who was supposed to confirm was traveling and we lost the reservation. M-E, my normally calm and reasonable child, cried and sobbed at the news. The "no pool" sobs became a torrent that covered every thing from Sadie being gone to missing the class picture day. The single incident just was the last straw. This reaction just let me know how truly hard this process has been for her and emphasizes to me how very strong she has been. So seldom does she let it get to her.

We are going to go anyway, despite the pool issue. I am worried because she has a bigger dose of Methotrexate on Monday and I am supposed to put her on a train on Tuesday morning. She is going to be so disapointed if she does not get to go. I am going to drive so I can keep her close. It should be interesting. I am glad we had the practice trip to the Westin. I learned a few things about how to travel with her. It is different now but doable. There is a good hospital in Portland so we will be able to get help if we need it. I am planning on no need for medical intervention but know that at a moment's notice we can have one of those life changing complications.

M-E seems to be coming around though. She felt like talking to Laura B. last night. She sometimes does not have phone energy. She has been to school all week and doing fine. She is getting stronger every day. She is reaching out a bit more and I am trying to work more and inch away from her. She pulls me back on a regular basis but that is fine.

We are getting ready to rejoin the world again. Small steps, but then they are sure steps and we feel ready.

No comments: