Blog Archive

Saturday, April 16, 2005

No Matter How Normal..........

WE have been affected by this journey. We are very different people. Our perception of the world will never be the same. Things are not viewed the same way. We are forever changed by what has happened over the last 9 months. Something happened last night that made me realize some changes have occurred despite our need to keep things "normal".

We went the mall for dinner. M-E seems very bonded with Red Robin. Ironic it is my least favorite place. She has been able to eat the burgers pretty constantly and the milkshakes with extra whip cream have helped keep the weight on. (There is phrase I never exected to type.) We looked for shoes and then everyone wanted icecream. We went to Dairy Queen and M-E wanted a blizzard. Well I watched the employee make one for someone else and there was not way was she going to have one. The collars that the blizzards are made with are kept in this puddle of icky dirty water. I saw her wipe her hands on her jeans and that was it. I started to look at the entire place and realized that it was a candidate for one of those Oprah, do you know what is in your kitchen shows. I shuddered and she had a Sunday.

I have never been squeamish. Iron constitutions and not much sense. It has served us well. Now, I am becoming one of those people that worries about silly things like how long things have been sitting out or whether the lettuce has been properly washed.

The world in general is much less safe. Danger lurkes in places it never lurked before and I hate to see the world in the negative connotation. It is like a person that buys a car and then every car on the road is identical. Those cars were always there but were never notices. The world is full of danger but we had the luxury of ignoring most of them. I can see how people become obsessed with germs and cleanliness.

The only part that makes it all manageable it that I know it will pass. Or it will recede into the back of my mind,.

Well on the other hand, can you imagine me becoming a Germ-A-Phobe. Oh yeah, thats right. See things are better all ready.

The Porta-Potty is still across the street but the fence is up... Yuck.... and the houses look ready for the open house tomorrow. I will let you know the price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chapters are longer...hope emerges.