Blog Archive

Friday, April 01, 2005

What Will The Man Bring for Breakfast Mommy

I am reminded of a time when M-E was 2 and 1/2. Her grandfather and died and a planned trip to Mexico did not happen. I had tickets for a concert in Portland and was going to drop Johnny and M-E at the airport and continue on. I ended up taking her to Portland with me. We checked into the Heathman. We arrived late and I did not want to take her out anywhere. She had slept all the way to Portland.

I perused the room service menu and we ordered a couple of things. We had our snack and went to bed. We woke up and were watching cartoon. M-E stretched and sleepily said " Mommy what is the man bringing for breakfast." It was one of the moments as a parent when I realized that I had created an expectation that could never be changed. It was not a bad expectation but just one of many she has learned in this life time.

I am glad that she has had more expreriance of like events. Trips, tea at the Queen Mary, the ablility to recognize Monet, laugh at The Lucy Show and see Harry Potter on the day it is released.

She had had share of disappointments in life during her short 12 years. Some big some small. She has learned that there is not a Santa, or a tooth fairy. 4th of July fireworks are not for her birthday and Friday the 13th is not her friend. Even with those diapointments, she has gathered enough knowledge to get through them and hopefully emerge on the other side with more positive things gained then lost.

Today's report goes like this. Breakfast served in bed by mom, cartoons until noon, roomservice for lunch swimming until three, napping until 6:00 dinner. I think she has learned to make the best of every situation and she is a fast learner.

No comments: