Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Sad news about Aunt Margarite Lanham


Okay she was 90 something. She was no longer remembering the little things that make life so much of a joy, like the names of children and the like. She had been in a sort of fetal position for a while and was in pain. That part is over. Her person is no longer with us. She has "left this mortal coil" but she has not left without touching lots of lives.


I loved her stories about being on mountain tops as a look out and having to get up in the bitter cold because she lost the nightly gin game to Uncle Max. I thought she was a wonderful person because she did not withhold his pain medication at the end of his life when she found out he had been cheating at cards all those cold nights.


'I loved the smell of her art studio. She was the first real artist I ever knew. I value a small rock painting she did of a sea shore. Most were western scenes but I glommed on to this one because I love the ocean and it spoke to me and was a part of her.


I loved her cooking and her care of all of us. Her love of the world's oldest biggest cat that ever walked the earth. As I recall he weighed 25 pounds and was 25 years old but then I was just a small child. Her love of a great German Shepard that would ring the door bell when he wanted to come in.


I loved her laughter and her view of life. She was always the same age. She was old when Max died almost 30+ years ago. But then as a child people are just an age. I bet she was not any older than I am now. Seems impossible.


I guess I just loved her. I am glad I saw her when I could, that she came for Thanksgiving here once and to Mary-Elizabeth's end of treatment party. I am glad we went to Boise for the reunion.


I guess we are becoming the old relatives to the next group. I hope I can do as much for them as she did for me.

1 comment:

Nonna Madonna said...

A perfect tribute to Mom. Reading it, she might have said, "Oh, I don't know about that" and be secretly very pleased. Mom was fifty-six when Daddy died. She may have seemed older because his dying took a lot out of her. And yes, we are fast becoming the old ones now. Thanks for a lovely piece.