Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day one at the Hutch part of SCCA

So, Parking is good.  As Mary-Elizabeth directed:  You turn in before the circlely turning thing.  (Note to self:  do not take child when navigation is a required skill)

The signs are good. Purelle is weird but once I realized what it was and the amount to use it was fine.  I don't see lots of people using it, but then I have become a nut about it. Masks are very popular.  I was ready to start wearing one from peer pressure.

The elevators..... oh dear.  Today I am going to look for stair wells. They are slow and small and very crowded.  This is not a stair taking group.

The staff, seems fine.  Not a lot of them and lots of yelling.  Sierra, room 2.  Smith room 26. Whitehall room 32.  Sort of like getting your pizza order.  A bit wierd but the view from the exam room is fabulous.

It is very apprent that no one goes there alone.  It is a group activity for the adults.  As I was thinking about it this A.M.  I wonder if this is the Christmas visitor time.  Lots of people are from out of town and everyone has come to see them.  It would be rude to go to the Space Needle if Mom is at the Hutch. 

Smell:  Oh dear.  It might be a smoke free building but people with cancer and their families are smokers.  It is bad.  People that smoke have no idea how bad they smell. I was told I could not spray the smelly people with some sort of air fresherner or maybe fabrize.

The halls seem small.  Really small.  Like you cann't get away from people and are always running into them.  Maybe because I have a million bags with me, ummmmm.  I will work on it.

I don't like adult cancer patients.  They are so different than kids.  Kids don't endlessly discuss their cancer.  Mary-Elizabeth said it best. Kids do cancer with grace.

The food was good. Small but great soups, good choices.  There is a recognition at the Hutch that food is medicine and that while stressed, it is better not too fall back on high fat, salty, foods.  Hey, what a concept.

We really miss Childrens, bad food and all.  We will be there on ocassion and life will be good again. We have appointments there every day for the next 2 weeks. 

Admission on the 16th of January.  I will know more today after we meet with Dr. Woflfery.  I have a bunch of quesitons, of course.

Waves of panic overtake me every now and then.  I just hate this.  Oh, did I say I don't want to be here and do this.  What was I thinking, I loved fighting over peoples marble topped dressers. 

No comments: