Blog Archive

Sunday, March 20, 2005

The News

I hate the news sometimes. It is so bleak and I tend to get discouraged about what is going on in the world. I noticed my relationship with the news changed when I had Mary-Elizabeth. I took it too seriously and was very upset about stories that related to children. I was upset when the government did things that did not help children but set them up for failure. It has been very difficult recently with the Terry Shibow (sp) case. It just baffles me on one hand but also I think I understand.

I listen to the debate and weight the pros and cons of the case. I worry about having to make the same choice. It just raises so so many questions about medicine and God and intervention and faith. I wonder why people that espouse faith don't act on it. Do we judge the parents because they are not ready to let their child die? Is Terry really there? When do you make that decision? How do you make that decision? Should we ever take extraordinary means to bring about a different outcome? Should we submit a child to all this process? When is enough, enough? Do we take those efforts because of our needs or our children's. Do they need to keep living because we cannot stand to have them leave before we do? Does this hesitancy mean we really don't believe that there is more to this life than we can see?

I recall the words of my Civil Procedure teacher, THERE ARE NO ANSWERS, JUST ARGUMENTS!

Then I heard about Scott Peterson this week and just shook my head. What if we took the money California will spend on appeals and spent it on medical research or Ronald McDonald Houses or provided much needed medicine to the elderly or bought boots for soldiers in Iraq? Just a thought.




No comments: