Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Different Titles


I was given the Mother of the Year award yesterday by my daughter but I would not be given the Parent of the Year award by anyone.

Mary-Elizabeth was feeling less the 60% yesterday. She was not a happy camper, flu shot and Methotrexate. She was up and was able to sort of pull it together and we headed to school. We were even there a few minutes early and were chatting in the care. Were were on the phone discussing a child hood poem with my dad:


The dog sat on the Burning Deck
The flames licked up around his neck
HOT DOG

And I looked out the car and there were a couple of children walking down the street and I asked of today was "Free Dress", to my daughter in here prim and proper St. Joe's uniform.

Well, instant, unexpected, uncharacteristic explosion. "Mom take me home to change. I cannot go in, they laugh at the kids that forget. I just cannot take being laughed at today!!!!!!!!!"

I was scheduled to meet with some clients in deep and serious crisis. I had 45 minutes before the meeting. I was sitting on Capital Hill with an upset child.

I made the decision that she was not going to go home. She could go to school or she could with me to work.

The "Parent of the Year" would have made the child go to school and been able to come up with the right answer to handle the situation. The "Mom of the Year" looked at her tired, crying child and capitulated.

Oh, well. I find it odd that a child that has been through so much can be pushed over the edge with such a small miss step. Then I thought that perhaps this was a sign of Mary-Elizabeth returning t0 normal.

Oh the picture is Isabel, in her free dress.


No comments: