Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Reflections on 52

Tomorrow is the big 52. I just don't seem to be very excited about it. I guess there is the "oh well" factor. 50 was huge. 52 feels like 34. A birthday of no consequence. I wonder if this is because my daughter is fighting a real battle and who really cares if lots of days have passed since the last coconut cake came into my life, or if it is simply the placement of the date on a mid-week that makes it seem less than spectacular.

The universe seems to be taking it in stride. Full moon, clear fall sky's, frosty crispy mornings. I was just excited to have a new batch of Northhill Bakery Granola.

I don't want anyone to think I am complaining. It has been a great month. Wonderful presents, good doctor's appointments, good friends and cake. Always cake. Sadie is back, the house warm, M-E is a bit under the weather but doing okay. Belle and Karen were here. Ruth and gang came with pizza and great salad. Isabel was very happy to sing happy birthday.( She learned that even old people get to have birthdays.)

Maybe it is a time of no real surprises or too much hoopla. I think we have had enough of that to last a lifetime. Some time of quiet and rest and knowing you have enough suet to feed the flickers through the winter is what 52 is about.

No comments: