Blog Archive

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Something I Wrote at the Beginning of 5th grade. I just wanted to stash it here for now.

School Year Beginnings

I figured that after 6 starts, I would have it down pat. My organization would start with the end of 4th grade. I would keep the end of the year packet in a place I could find it. I would hand over the school supply list to Mary-
Elizabeth's father at the beginning of August. I would measure our daughter and order everything from Landsend by the first week in August. I would line up all the beginning of the year fund raising recipients. I was ready.
I was ready to go. Then it started to deteriorate. We, Ruth and I, were power shopping ( Two Moms on the web, searching the same site.) We were in search of "Hunter Green" shirts. Oh, now what there is no "Hunter Green"!!!! We know that when girls enter 5th grade, everything has to match. We can't have almost "Hunter Green" we have to have "Hunter Green". So I, being the rebel, order "vintage green." It looks close, I know Landsend won't let me down. I know in my heart that I will not have to drive to the Uniform Store in Tukwilla. I will avoid the fate of having to figure out the difference between Andover Parkway East and Andover Parkway West. They couldn't come up with another street nameÂ…Â…. I was not too discouraged when the shorts were back ordered. I was set. We were on track.

I went to the special place where I kept the -end of the year- packet. I pulled out the colored sheets used to list supplies and discovered to my horror, I had recycled the list for 5th grade. Don't panic. It will be on the web. We have spenthousands's of dollars raised from boxes of chocolates and wrapping paper and auctions on computers. The list will be there. The panic begins to creep up, no list. Calls to good friends. They have lists but they are using their lists. More calls finally I remember, It's not my job. I delegated it to her father. He can find his own list. Solution found.

I waited for the perfect hemmed to ordekhakihi pants to be delivered. I was still a bit anxious about the "vintage green" but we had some time. I open the package. I got an eye full of "vintage green" Oh, yes, remember those canned peas they used to feed us. The ones we were still rejecting in the college dorm cafeteria. Do I need to say more. More panic, more dread. I was about to go on line and find a detailed map to Tukwila when I called Landsend. I got a hold of a nice lady who commiserated with me about my lunchroom food experiences and she helped me locate the right color. I learned from her the you must call and ask for "Evergreen" Life is good yet again.


So we are ready. Shirts, pants, backpack , back ordered shorts, school supplies. 2" canvas ( material no longer made in this country ) binders, not 1.5" note cards, red, green, blue ball point pens, hole reinforcement rings…..But then, it happened. The elusive holy grail of school supplies.

1 protractor with arm

What's a protractor, I remember the word. I don't believe I ever owned one. It sounds like a scary medical device I don't want to think about. I get brave, I ask the teacher. I am shown the item. I begin the search.
We go to 5 different places. Drug stores, office supply warehouses, K-Mart, and nothing. I write a note to the teacher. The response "If that is all you can find, well okay." Translation: you are a looser of a parent. Your child will never get out of 5th grade. We are calling Child Protective Service. You should not be spending money on private school but rather on therapy for your child." I am inspired to try again. I finally find "1 protractor with arm" in hot pink. All is right with the world.


First week goes great, the second begins with some dread. Did I forget something. Did I not do something, then I remember it is almost 9-11. I just get very sad and withdrawn. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I start to get anxious. All the joy of starting school seems to float out the window. So I take action. I went to church on 9-11 with Mary-Elizabeth. We sang, we prayed, we listened to scripture. We listened to Father Craig and then I walked out the side door to the parking lot. I looked at the lot and realized how many parents had stayed to attend the service with their children. I realized what a great statement that was about us as a community. We love our children we love our school, we love our county and church and most of all we love our God. It really isn't about the perfect color shirt or the right math tool, it's about caring and sharing and being with our kids and working in the school and new beginnings.
So just remember, Paper, Jog-A-Thon, Auction, Candy
( Written September 11, 2002)

No comments: