Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Quiet, a good kind.



We are all up this morning.  I am off to the zoo for some walking.  I had to change insurance policies after I left the office and it closed.  I was lucky enough to be a member of the King County Bar Association.  As a member I was able to be added to their group policy.  It is always much better to be on a group policy.  

Group Health has a program with the Woodland Park Zoo.  On Tuesday and Thursday mornings a group meets at the zoo and walks for an hour through the zoo.  We enter just after it opens.

The zoo is strangely quiet at that time.  The animals are semi-active.  The keepers are busy, the paths are empty.  The zoo is basically deserted on those mornings.  The store is open but no one is present.  The small food places are closed in the morning.  The paths have a few workers and volunteers it is mostly your group. As we leave the strollers and children arrive with their Lycra wearing mothers and a father or two.  Sort of nice to be beyond that phase of my life.

Some people walk in groups, others are alone.  Someone asked me if I had found a group to join.  I am not not joining a group but I am not seeking company, just yet.  I am basically exploring.  New exhibits, old animals.  Learning my way around.  Still looking for some things that are missing.  I could not find the penguins the other day.  Found the Flamingo’s and one goose that thinks he is a Flamingo. 

I am using the time as decompression time.  I want to wander and think, stop when I want.  Just wander for a bit.  Unstructured.  No conversation.  It works for me.

Until I go to start the car and it is dead.  Really dead.  It is having a free ride to Honda of Seattle for some more work.  Hope it is not really really dead.  

Favorite quote from the Sweet Potato Queen   “There are just two kinds of cars.  Good cars run.”

No comments: