Blog Archive

Friday, January 20, 2006

High School Applications








Candles lit in ancient ritual beseeching the Gods and other powerful entities to assist in goal. Prozac would also help if I had some.








A new rite of passage for the 8th graders is the

HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATION PROCESS

It is sort of like college. Can you remember what activities you did as a 3rd grader? Were you asked your future goals and plans for high school? Did anyone care if you had done community service? Oh, well, I guess were were watching The Monkeys and reading Gone with the Wind and wondering if we were going to get asked to dance.

So it goes like this:

First you have to visit the school. This requires permission from all the teachers and then a report back to the academic Vice Principle.Then you go to a variety of Open Houses to tour the school and see if the programs they offer are ones that will fit for your child. They you fill out the packet. Recommendations need to be done by the Teachers, The Priest. Grades and test scores need to go to the school. Then there are the:

Why do you want your child to go to Blanchet Essay

Dear Admissions Director. I want my child to go to Holy Names but you are our second choice in case she does not get in. I don't want my child to go to such a big school with so many BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you nuts. You have a thousand students and BOYS she does not know. She is really cute and she is going to figure it out and spend hours on the phone and have her heart broken and worry about her hair and ...............
She needs to stay focused.

I am not sending her to Seattle Prep because of the rowdy and obnoxious boys that have plagued her class for 9 years. I hope they are going there and not to Blanchet We are so glad to see them go somewhere and we know they can not go to Holy Names.

Thanks for considering my daughter. She would be an asset to any school. Did I mention we really want her to go to Holy Names. Could you call and recommend her?

So then you package it all up and send it off. I of course found a great folder and added a very cute picture and a note written on one of her Art Cards. She is quite the artist.

Now I can guarantee you, the amount of tension at the schools is scary. Kids are freaked, Parents are freaked, Teachers are freaked. We are very calm, right now. Maybe it will get worse when we find out. (That is when I freak because this costs money that is not readily available but we will make it work.)

Trust me, this month I will be lighting lots of candles.



No comments: