Blog Archive

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Books

I have been reading more. I have not been taking down Chrismas Stuff (yes the Village is still up but the elves work all year round). I have not been doing Laundry. I have not been cleaning the basement, I have been reading and doing a bit about round the edges.

As has been pointed out by my mother, I read weird books. I read two kinds of books and I don't think they are weird.

They are either substanial or sort of quirky and funny.

The substantial books always have dark covers and dark topics but must not just be sad to be sad. I can not handle those kinds of books.

They have lots of 12 cent words and complex charactors. The books make me ponder about lots of things like Mummification( The Egyptologist) Eastern Europe and Dracula ( The Historian) or the plague ( A Year of Wonders). Often times I am not seeking new topics to consider but love to learn new things. The world we live in swirls by with it's 10 second sound bites and then moves on to the next topic with such haste that it is impossible to know anything in any depth. Like what has happened to Sharone? We learned every deep secret about him and then.........

I also like very funny books. I loved "Bridget Jones Diary. It has a sense of self confusion and acceptance of that state in life that still makes me laugh. I loved "Confessions of a Shopaholic", and "Lamb the Gospel according to Biff Christ's Childhood Friend." I loved "Lady of the Lost and Found." I am loving "Hypocrite in a Poofy Dress and look forward to finishing the "Deep Dark" ( Sunshine Mine disaster)

I don't know what draws me to books. I love to laugh, learn and escape. I want to learn or consider a topic in a new way. I love to crawl into the world of another's perception for just a moment.

I will finish the laundry and move the Christmas Tree, David is going to be here for a night so we should get the lights down and the curtain rod put up so I can put up the curtains I made from some really pretty bright(of course) material that Belle and Karen gave to me.

See, I know what I am supposed to be doing and I will make some progress.

No comments: