Blog Archive

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Raccoons and Whooping Cranes

I bet you never knew they sounded alike. I was channel surfing and came across a program where they were hand raising chicks. They are raised to never see a human and listen to the sounds of the flock while growing up. They make a clicking /purring sound that brought Sadie to life.

She is on high Racoon alert. Her alert status increased as the wind blew and she just knew they were out the window having a party. What a night.

I have long had an interest in Whooping Cranes. One of my parent's college roommates worked with them. When he started there were 16 in the wild. He would fly to Canada and swap out a few Whooping for Sandhill eggs. The Sandhills would be raised by the Whooping Cranes and the Sandhill raised the Whooping Cranes. The Sandhills had great success rates but the Whooping Cranes never formed mating pairs, they were a bit confused. 200 live in the wild now, mostly in Canada and between Florida and Maryland.

We would receive Christmas letters all about the new baby Whooping Cranes from Mr. Erickson. I will have to check on the population count..

In case you were worried, Sadie has patrolled the back yard and it is all clear. She has been out there three times. I feel safe now.

I do wish the sun would come up.

No comments: