Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

First Day of Lent or What I am giving up for 40 days and 40 nights.

I used to give up things like fabric. I don't really buy fabric any more since I have not really be quilting any more and I was sort of distracted by that Leukemia thing for the last few years. I have been known to give up E-Bay. I do like to look at things.

I was shopping this morning so I could send my sister an assortment of cards. She sent my daughter a thank-you card and it was an altered Sympathy card. She says she was being resourceful. I am going to do something to fill that need. Of course is that any stranger than having my father use a 1936 Christmas Seal for a 36 cent stamp? Evidently the post office did not seem to mind. What really boggled me is that they did not even cancel it.

So here I am back at Lent. 40 days, and 40 nights of giving up something. That old fasting thing. I think I am going to give up something productive like clutter. Maybe I could find 40 spaces in my house to clear. Now that would be a good thing. Maybe I could give up dis-organization. I could sort and throw and clear. Maybe I could give up not going to the Dog Park with the dogs. They do love it. Maybe I could give up short afternoon walks and take long walks instead. Maybe I could give up weeds in my back yard. Maybe I could give up using my garage as a storage locker. Maybe I could give up...................

I think it is much easier to give up something you can see and touch and think about. I am going to try the clutter thing and the walking thing. I also have banned bread and pastries from my world. I have decided that does not mean tortillas or crackers. It is not all desserts so cookies are okay. I am just not very good at Lent.

I asked Mary-Elizabeth what she was giving up and she said Chemo........ and then pointed out that she had given up more than enough. I had to agree. 40 days..............

No comments: