Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Peg is no longer M-E's Friend

The deal was that I would be with Mary-Elizabeth for each and every shot. We started Day 42 this week. We were at the hospital at the crack of dawn for blood draw and for the most dreaded of all shots. Peg asparagus. We were ready. The bribe was agreed upon. Mom was ready to relieve me after the shot. We had been through this before and would just get the shot done. M-E would wait for the right amount of time and then they would go home.

Of course that didn't work. She needed a blood transfusion. I had figured we would be doing one of those this week because her skin had taken upon that particular shade of pale that was achieved in prior centuries through the use of regular small doses of arsenic. I left the hospital while she waited for the blood to arrive.

I surprised everyone by walking into the door. I did a bit of work, put out a fire or two. Sat down to do some more work and the call came. She had become violently ill and they needed me back at the hospital. She had reacted to the Peg and would never want to see another chicken strip again.

I headed back to find a very sick and groggy child. She was in a very strange state. It was apparent that she was not doing well. I just wanted to grab her and hold her and make it all better. I was not able to touch her because I have had a cold and did not want to complicate the situation. She had been given a bunch of benyadryl, some hydrocotozon and they were trying to get a pint of packed red blood cells into her before she totally crashed. Needless to say we were all in bed by 6:00 when we were able to go home. I was just glad they were not admitting her. I knew that if I could get her home she would be better off. I also knew that if I said " Do you think we should stay? " We would have still been there today.

Things have been much better today. She slept last night, I was up every two hours to check on her but she was able to eat this morning and go with mom to do some shopping. I had a very good cheese cake with Margarita Candles. They were unlike any I have every seen. We had a quiet evening at home and for my birthday I was given the news that she never has to have another "Peg" shot again.

Life is grand.

No comments: