Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

We Are Home

WE are home I want to do this entry in happy colors because it was not fun. I am learning to be happy with this moment. I no longer thank God for days or weeks or even mornings, we have to happy with moments. Simple moments free of fever or pain or anxiety. Moments of peace and bits of joy. Life is no longer about the big events but the minutes surrounding the little ones.

We had a great Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I was able to work. M-E and Whitney were delivered to the house by Colleen and they made cookies. My mom, in usual Mom fashion, had taken the chips out of the bag and put them in a Ziplock. Don't ask me why, I just find little bags of stuff everywhere. The girls discovered that the recipe on the Ziplock was completely inadequate. They started to search for Chocolate chip cookie recipes. I was informed that lots of cook books do not have such a thing. Fanny Farmer finally came through. I can report that with See's Chocolate Chips , they were the best.

We then went to find Advent Candles and paper for the famous Christmas letter. We went to Outback and then home. We had to get up early for what will always be referred to as TURKEY BREAKFAST. Those were good moments and I was so focused on the next day I did not truly relish them. It was great to just be with Whitney and Mary-Elizabeth.

The hospital is always a reminder of being and paying attention to good moments. We shared a room with a family that is from Port Orchard. They are only a month into the process. They are traveling a different road. They received news of their house selling and a pre-Christmas move. They want so much to be together for Christmas and Sara can not be home unless home is here. Every one rejoiced in the moment of sale. The worry about how to have a child in intensive treatment and moving and finding a house and Christmas came later. They need a 5 bedroom house within an hour of the hospital, with a good school district for $325,000.00 or less. I wish that was the only miracle they needed .

M-E is doing a bit better today. She got some happy news I will let her share at her own time. Suffice it to say she is a happy little girl. She has slept most of the day. She ate a bowl of Honey Nut Cherrios and I have been able to coax a bit of water down her gullet. She has a stubborn streak and she is mad at me right now. She is mad that she is sick, she is mad that I fuss, she is mad that I want her to eat, she is mad that I .......................................... I guess I am mad about all those things also but I am going to try and enjoy a few moments of quiet, and the neighbor's giant blow up Christmas Pooh Bear that replaced the giant Turkey and know that we are home. We get to sleep in our own beds and we are almost at the end of Consolidation. I am going to be happy and content in this moment.

No comments: