Blog Archive

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Today we get Sandwiches

Maybe it is my age, 51, (don't be embarrassed, you can always send gifts), maybe it is having this new child we call Loochmiah, maybe it is just because I did not get enough sleep last night but I realized this morning I only want a left-over turkey sandwich.

Well, you might say, go have one. You don't have to wade through the day, the dinner the inevitable family dramas or the crowds, the dread of getting Christmas done right. I just think it is time to acknowledge that the post Thanksgiving Sandwich is always the best meal of the day. I wonder if America's Test kitchen has done show on this issue. I have a theory why it is so good.

I can bake a turkey designated for sandwich meat. I can buy cooked turkey in many forms, Mystery turkey stuff, turkey with pepper on the edges, fresh roasted turkey, smoked turkey, natural turkey, and a variety of other turkeys. But it never tastes like the turkey from the slightly still warm picked over bird that has been cooked with the season's best dressing, sliced for the main meal, touching some left over potatoes and that strange but necessary jelly-o thing. It is the sandwich that is made with those bits of turkey from weird places on the carcass that juicy bits hang out. That weird round piece on the backbone or the most tender shreds that are on the inside ends of the rib cage. The mayo must be cold, the cranberry sauce warm, the bread brown substantial and the stomach just not really ready to be fed.

We have had the grand meal, the full spread but we still hunger for more. I guess that is part of what makes us human, we are willing to make the best out of the left overs. We are lucky like that. Just think, what would this world be without Post Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwiches.


No comments: