Blog Archive

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Orion is in the Morning Sky

We always were and always be "Come Look!!!!!" people. A bird, a wired rock formation, a beautiful leaf, a weird activity by a neighbor. Anything thing that is different or strange or out of the ordinary is subject to Lanham scrutiny.

I remember when I was a child I woke both parents up to see the Man in the Moon. It was a clear night and the moon had been shining with greater intensity than usual. I woke up, looked out the window and saw this bright Man in the Moon. More accurately he looked like a giant ginger bread man. I checked more than once but was just sure that Mom and Dad would want to see this great thing.

I did not have to scream "COME LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!" too loud in our little house to have them come running. They were the parents of a 4 year old you know and deep sleep was not something they were able to enjoy very often. I remember my dad looking out of the window and trying to assure me that the moon was beautiful, and full and indeed worthy of a middle of the night viewing. He was not able to see the same man I still was so vividly describing to him. Mom assured me that I had seen the Man but then it was now time to return to bed.

I have found over the years people don't really care about many of things I see. Varied Thrushes that only appear at the head of a storm while migrating through are not as exciting to others. The one lone humming bird that flys by is not a concern.

Mom has confirmed that Orion is out in the Southwestern sky. Winter is coming. He is there very faithfully on his winter jaunt.

Mom goes home today. I have to get her out the door. Mary-Elizabeth and I are going to the hospital for a bag or two of plateletts this Morning. Getting her up may be a trial. I think I will try the "Come Look, Orion is in the SKY!!!!!.

No comments: