Blog Archive

Friday, December 03, 2004

The View From the Window has Changed.

I have reported in the past about the process of the neighbor moving out. He had a house that had a garage and a basement and an attic and a root cellar and two huge holly bushes that were easily 60 feet high. The back yard was filled with old vehicles and campers and sheds and god knows what else. He left finally and took the last bricks from the driveway about a week ago.

On Wednesday the action began. The NO PARKING people showed up and lined the streets. A Honey Bucket appeared. A huge flat bed with a huge shiny machine came . I missed the unloading but I understand it was very interesting. I was up and at work by 6:30 a.m.

I came home and the only thing left was the Honey Bucket, the big shiny machine and some basement walls. All the vegetation was gone, the trees, the bushes the house, the roof, it was just flat. I am looking out the window as I type and there is a light from the house that was hidden all these years and they seem to have a bathroom window. It is so odd to see the new landscape. Mom said that the demolition took less than an hour. I took all day to haul it away and will take months to rebuild.

I think I need to point out the parallels to Mary-Elizabeth. The destruction of our lives, the bad going away and being replaced by something solid and good and maybe a bit shiny. She and I both need a bit of reminding right now.

We are both in a state. She is not feeling good because of an infection. She is starting week two of 99ish to 101.6 ish and feels ickie. I cannot give her tylenol because if her fever goes higher, we have to go to the hospital but she just feels "yuck". I know that she is not in good spirits when I note that her I-Tunes allowance has been deducted from my bank account and she has not even turned on her computer to figure out what she wants to load on to her new shiny I-Pod. ( Thanks Graham Family)

The Luuchemia landscape changed for me on Thanksgiving Day. I was speaking with Johnny and ran to Lisa Judd. Lisa had been the Secretary of the business and Legal department when I taught at Edmond's Community College. She recognized me while M-E and I were at a clinic appointment. She re-introduced herself and I met Kelsy. Kelsy was 8 when she was diagnosed with ALL in July of 2003. She relapsed July of 2004. They were starting the process to prepare for a transplant.

Lisa was upset but holding it together. She reported that Kelsy had relasped again and had been in the ICU for 3 weeks. She had had a heart attach and surgery and was on a Heart Lung Machine. I knew that it was bad. All I could do was give her a hug. Over the 5 days I was there I dropped by the ICU and chatted. She and gave me updates. She said all the nurses and doctors had visited and that things were looking better because Kelsy had opened her eyes two or three times.

It is the little things that make a Mom happy. I knew it was bad. I was told that Kelsy was going to heaven soon.

Kelsy has gone to heaven. Her body just could not take any more treatments or assaults. They started to take the machines away one by one. Her three year old brothers came to visit for one last time when the and one of them said " Kelsey isn't sick any more."

The view from the window has changed. I hope we get a better view.

No comments: