Blog Archive

Friday, December 10, 2004

WE Escaped Certain Hospitalization

2:00 p.m: Call from Mom: She does not feel well, her temp is 101.8
Response: I will meet you at the hospital

2:02 p.m. Call to Hem/Onc: We are coming in, 101.8 and punkie kid.

2:22 p.m. Arrive at hospital, no Mom or M-E. Mom has this thing about finding the perfect parking spot. Must be close, must be able to drive right in to said spot, must be able to back out without having some big honking SUV or giant pick-up able to park behind you.

2:30 p.m. M-E arrives by herself. Mom still looking for perfect spot. Back to a room, warmed blankets found. Temp 102.8

2:40 p.m. Mom finally arrives. She had to wait but found the "Perfect Spot"

2:45 p.m. Heidi arrives to draw blood. Culture bottles, all sent stat. More warm blankets. Mom announces she is going home. It will be dark soon and she made good soup. If I have to stay I have cloths in my hospital bag. I suggest that if I show up at the office in orange flowered workout pants I will get fired. She tells me can wear the same cloths I have on back to work. She is my mother, I can not argue.

2:50 p.m. Dr. Pendergaste begins to examine M-E. He concludes she is sick but has no answers other than she is stewing some bug that we can not detect. We wait for the counts to come back. If her ANC is under 200 we have to stay. If not we go. I pray to the ANC gods. I have a hole in my pant hose and don't want to wear them again.

3:12 p.m. Heidi returns with an IV pole and 1500 in fluids. They begin to run at 999 drips per hour. I am jelouse. Baxter, our home pump, will only go 499. I want a bigger IV pump.

4:17 p.m. Dr. Pendergaste returns with the numbers. ANC 1572 we can go. More fluids, she needs to brush her teeth more. She may have a bug but we can not just give her random antibiotics until we know if she has something.

4:32 p.m. 1000 ml bag done. M-E claims she wants to stay a bit longer. I realize she would like to watch Dharma and Greg. We do the 500 ml bag.

5:16 p.m. we leave for home.

6:12 p.m. Mom's soup is good.


No comments: