Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I love this time of the Morning

Rumor has it we will have more Sun today. Well maybe a few more seconds but every bit will help. This has been the year of the unusual. I have had to adjust to so much. They talk about life changing moments but I wonder how many times my life has to change. I think about some of those "moments" and believe me there have been many. Maybe I am like one of those stupid men in the Bible that has to be thwapped upside the head a dozen times before they understand what they are supposed to do. I am just waiting to walk too close to the shore and get swallowed by something and puked up somewhere. Oh, no that's right I can not take any trips for awhile.

It is quiet, and dark and the Christmas Candles are burning. The tree is lit and the village is on (fondly called that "idiotic thing on the piano that is a waste of space, time and money and electricity" by my mother.) the coffee is good and strong. Thanks Jack and M-E is asleep. Not a fitful sleep but a restorative sleep.

I just walked out of my office yesterday and left piles of things undone. It has been a long and difficult 4 months and I have just stopped working until 2005. I may be so bold as to go on to my office computer and turn it off. I won't receive any "re-directed" e-mails or anything. I have not been brave enough to do that yet but I might still. In the past I have disconnected by leaving town. This year the challenge is to disconnect while in town. I have always needed to put a physical distance between myself and work before I could let it go.

I have such a sense of being responsible for everything. When you are raised to be responsible it is sometimes hard to let go of somethings. If you teach your children they can bring about change and to work hard, it has mixed results. I know that I can make things better and sometimes that knowledge makes it difficult to step back and let others have some success.

By our very nature lawyers feel lots of pressure and have this, WE CAN DO IT attitude. We go to work when we are sick , we push ourselves too hard. We ignore our lives and that makes us grouchy and nasty and even mean. But then we get rewarded and paid more than $200.00 an hour for those qualities.

But it is time for me to try and recharge my batteries. I am going to turn off my office computer, because I can and I want to. I am going to have another cup of coffee because I always do. I am going to take the advise of my much older and wiser cousin Susan (She reads the blog and will post a comment I am sure about the Older thing) and do what they say: "Place the Mask over your face first before helping your child."

Did we ever think there was a lesson to be learned from the flight attendant?

Enjoy our first day back to the light.

No comments: