Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Garbage Wars

I am not sure who the enemy is in this battle. It is most likely me but then I have to shift some of the blame to society and the Public Utilities. (Shifting blame is what I do best.)

Here is the problem. In Seattle, we have lots and lots of different kinds of garbage. We have regular trash, yard waste and recycling. We have hazardous waste and then I think we know have ways to dispose of old TV's and computers.

Trash: collected once a week. If the lid is off your container you are charged an extra $5.00. If you put out an extra bag you are charged an extra $5.00 per bag. If you don't put your can out in time they do not credit you but make you wait. If you call and tell them they did not pick it up you are severely chastised and sometimes they come and sometimes they don't. Let us all remember who controls the garbage business. No, not the Mafia! Nasty 12 year olds that answer the phone and like to yell at people.

Trash is also collected in different sized container. Giant, medium, small and oh my god do those people live on planet earth at all, size. We started out with the Giant one. It was here when we moved in to the house. I concluded that even with a minimum of effort we could go to the medium size. It is the regular 32 gallon or so size. I liked it because it came on wheels. I soon found that even that was too much because I like to recycle. We went to the small size. I have never had the nerve to try and go to the MINI can. That is simply not a reality. I think people with those cans use other people's cans or only throw away a light bulb. They buy all their food in bulk, never buy a container that can not be recycled and use their neighbor's for over flow.

Every now and then my can becomes smelly. I have found that you can call the garbage people and change size and they bring you a new one. I have never been given an old one so I don't think they recycle. That would be ironic if they did not.

So, this A.M., very early, I headed to the back where I had been putting all the Christmas Garbage. We had two parties and I did not have the proper William Sonoma tastefully labeled recycling containers nor did I hand out the thrilling article "What and How to Recycle for a Better Planet" nor did I show the informational video as people entered the door. I further failed in do post party garbage separation and I was just ready to pay the piper and put out an extra can. I would pony up the $5.00 and call it good. Well, I could not help but look in my neighbor's garbage. I scored. Lots of room. Lots of places for the unsorted bags and huge pieces of Styrofoam from a Santa present. I have one full can with lid on, waiting for pick up. It is a sign that life will be good today.

No yard waste because I have been otherwise involved and recyle goes next week. I have ton's of recycle because I failed to get it to the curb in time last week. Of course that was when the Recycle people came before the crack of dawn. They will take all I have to give them next week. I even put my can across the street but they had already been there.

Across the street report: They poured the slabs for the houses. A new Honey Bucket was delivered. No one ever saw the non-working guy come out of it so he might be in another part of town by now.

Last night we ventured out. We had dinner with Audrey, Wilbur, Jerry, Ruth, Whitney and Parker. We all went to Bepo di Bucca. It is a big Italian place that is great for lots of people. The meat balls are the size of a soft ball. It was fun. M-E lost steam about 6:45 p.m. She was just out of it. I am pleased to announce that once she burped a couple of times she felt better. She is getting stronger every day but still needs lots of rest. I think I am going to try and see if she cannot sleep for a long time this morning.

I just want her to be well, Now!!!!!. And we are so far from that point in time. Patience. A virtue. One I need to work on again and again and again. I have to be patient. Now how ironic is that?


No comments: