Blog Archive

Friday, December 24, 2004

Cookie Party was a success

About ten years ago I started hosting a cookie part for my Cousin's and their kids. I would make the cookies and the frosting. The Cousin's brought food and the kids decorated. It has taken on several variations over the years. Lots of sugar, and deeply colored frosting. More than lots of little sprinkles. One year we did 17 or 18 Gingerbread houses.

I used to search high and low for decorating stuff. I have a life time of silver balls for the cookies. That year they were featured in Martha Stewart Living was simply hell but I will never run short. I am please do announce that the shelf life of sugar is a billion and one years.

Mary-E really wanted a return of the Cookie party. I decided that this was not the year to say No. So I gathered the troops. Called the cousins announced they would make an appearance. Not an invitation but a command. Then M-E asked Colleen Battaglia* to make the dough. We were able to bake the cookies. Cousin Carolyn was given the job of making frosting. We were set.

My sister had contacted Claire Cordon and told her about M-E's wish and she offered to do everything from bake to frost. She and hubby Michael were given the task of coming up with adult foods and snacks. It was a go.

It was great. A good time was had by all. The kids that now range from 17 to 7 (8 total) had a wonderful time. They laughed, they let sparkles and colors fly. It was quite a sight. They then were kind enough to entertain themselves with games and laughter and good teasing. Kavik (16.5) and the only boy, was able to even have a good time. How can he complain with all those bossy women around. He is getting a good life lesson. Bossy women are the best and this family is full of them.

Mom called and wondered why they were still there. I pointed out it was only 7:30 to which she replied it was dark.

Everyone went home and M-E said, "Thanks so much Mom. It was better than I remembered." And that says it all. Even right now when things feel like they have spiraled out of control and things are upside down, it is still about making new memories and reinforcing the old ones.

Thanks to everyone that helped with this year's party.



*Yes, even sweatshirt thieves have redeeming value.

No comments: