Blog Archive

Monday, December 27, 2004

Chemo, Chemo, Chemo

It had been ten days since the last dose. We have had a great time. I am doing this entry in yellow in honor of Methotrexate. A lovely drug that comes in this color of yellow. Each time she received a dose, she is run through a battery of tests. They monitor her counts, her side affects and her liver. They want to know just how mad they can make it before they have to stop. Each dose is larger than the last.

Today was about 200 units. It takes about 20 seconds for her body to react. She begins to be flush and then she says it feels like her stomach just turns over. She grabs for the bucket and waits. Today we did all the pre-dosing with anti nausea stuff, zofran oral and IV but it was not enough. They gave her a half a dose of Atavan. That knocked her out. Even with a half dose she had to use a wheel chair to leave the hospital.

She was a bit goofy and now is sound a sleep. Not a restful sleep, but a fitful drug induced sleep. Two more doses of Methotrexate during this round IV and then on to the next phase. Oh, joy. She receivies it in her spine about two dozen time and then she had to take about 100 doses orally. I am so glad to know that she never has to have the mega doses we have seen in the hospital. Some kids get a couple of liters overnight and then they have to wait until it clears from their system. Scary Scary stuff.


We are liking this point in time. She has an ANC that would let her lick door knobs. She is starting to do a bit of homework. She is eating a bit and drinking more. She even wanted to know what was for dinner. I have not heard those words for a long time. I will see what the night will bring.

I am hoping we can wake up tomorrow in the same place we were today before the chemo, but then I always hope I will wake from this dream. This horrible place I can not escape. I have done no after Christmas Shopping, I have no Christmas Cards for next year, I know there are bargins out there but like many things, I can wait until next year.


Oh, yes, the overnight with Ana and Isabel and Yaya was a hit. There will be more of those soon.


No comments: