Blog Archive

Friday, May 02, 2014

I Can't seem to walk into the fire anymore....

I just don't have it in me anymore.  I don't have the strength or the will to really be of help to people in legal battles.  I thought I might be able to do a little.  I was wrong.  I was so so wrong.  

Making a phone call on behalf of someone is hard.  I don't think I can handle the disappointment. The expectations that things should be fair. I have lost my touch.  

I always was a tenuous lawyer at best.  I never was a Lawyer.  You know one of those people that always wears a tie and suit and never leave the office.  They are there because they are Lawyers.   I think it is sort of like the military.  They want you young.  Mold-able. Some insecure in their selves so they cloak their insecurity with Lawyer Ness....  

Now maybe it is not fair. I do pull out the lawyer sometimes.  It is always a judgement call. Always a wonder if it is a good idea.  We lawyers don't have the best reputation and we know how to make people miserable.  Maybe that is what is missing from me.  I just don't have it in me any more. 

My entire being has changed. I move in a different reality.  You see me, you talk to me, you do things with me but I am really not attached to the world in the same way. 

I spent the morning with a Mom in the Chicago area with a child headed to transplant.  They might be denied because of a myriad of reasons.  Oops, no life saving procedure for you.  Go back start again.  Sorry. 

I so dreaded transplant.  I have seen Elise R. go through it and knew of its horrors.  It was so bad.  I never saw anyone have a "easy" time. I was horrified when they told us she was headed to transplant. I tried to talk them out of it.  I didn't want the double lumen. I didn't want to have to find a donor. I didn't want.... and then.

I couldn't wait.  Once I knew it was coming, I was ready. Let's do this. Lets get going. What do you mean it takes months? What is the hold up?  What do you mean she might not be in remission? .007 looks pretty good to me. Why do we have to do all those tests AGAIN  We just did them!  Oh, you mean if things aren't perfect we might not go to transplant?  Oh, I want my transplant and I want it now....

The old, wanting what you can't have.

Would I have let her sign the papers if I had known what I know now?  I would because she has finally turned the corner.  If she was one of the many that have died?  I don't know.  I really don't know.  

We all make the best decisions we can at the moment it has to be made. Then we have to walk the path chosen.  
Conversation goes this way:

I don't know how to best make a decision?
But it has to be made.
What ever decision is made, is the right one. 

No comments: