Blog Archive

Thursday, January 06, 2005

We keep learning things about how this is affecting people

Mary-Elizabeth received a letter in the mail. One of her friends wrote this essay for Magazine. Her essay was not chosen but the Magazine sent it to us with a nice letter.


BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

When first asked, people figure that being beautiful means looking like a movie star. Although when you take the time to think, beauty is much deeper than that. I'd like to tell you about one of my close friends, Mary-Elizabeth. Mary-Elizabeth (called MEB), was diagnosed with leukemia this past summer. When I heard the news, I was struck with shock. A few days later, when MEB didn't have any treatments going on, I went to visit her and the surrounding were hard for me to take in. There were so many sick children. I thought God, how can anybody deserve this or how can this be your plan for anyone. When I got to MEB'S room, she had such an upbeat attitude and was so confident in herself that she could get through all the treatments and come out on top. To me, when a girl has confidence in herself, especially in a tough situation like MEB's, she is no doubt about it, beautiful. People like Mary-Elizabeth, make me view the world in a different light. I become more aware of the tragedies going on in the world around us and I'm much more grateful for the things that I have. When someone can make you change your way of thinking that, itself, is a beautiful quality. Mary-Elizabeth has chosen to shave her hair, rather than let it fall out. I admire her because of her bravery, which again is beautiful. MEB is looking ahead to the future with a positive attitude. I admire MEB so much because she fits perfectly with my definition of beautiful. Everyone needs a role model and MEB has become mine. I hope that my piece on Mary-Elizabeth has inspired you and helped you think of the definition of beautiful differently.

By Lauren Byrne age 13.

We have been so busy dealing with all the Chemo and treatments that we loose sight of what this is doing to all those around us. It seem so much like this is happening to just our family. I feel like we just are inside of this swirl of activity and most times there is no extra energy to reach out to those who care and who have continued to care for and about us.

After reading the essay, I took a moment and called Lauren and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. I know it is not much but it was something I could do. I realized that every simple thing we do for someone else does have a big impact.

Thanks Lauren and everyone else that has shown us a some kindness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary Elizabeth's mother Sally is also beautiful and has inspired the beauty in her daughter Mary Elizabeth.