Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

So..... Now What

8:30 a.m. SCCA for a meeting with a provider that does not come in on the regular clinic days of Monday and Thursday.

9:15 a.m.  Head home.  (Parking was only one gold dollar from my stash in the car.)

11:30 a.m.  Head to Children's

11:58 a.m.  Meb to Hem/Onc clinic and I head to check her in.

I am here to check in my daughter.

Last Name.

Sierra-Lanham

We have no one on the schedule by Lanham.

Do you have Sierra Lanham?

No we have no Lanham on the schedule.  Are you sure you are here on the right day?

Why don't I write it down for you.  SIERRA LANHAM.

Oh, Sierra Lanham.  We have her scheduled.


1:15 p.m.  Beeper goes off and we head to her room.  Cloths are changed.  Questions are answered.  Pregnancy tests are refused.  Doctors come and see her and then she is off to the "non-sterile" procedure

1:30 p.m.  Camera down the gullet.  Pictures taken, biopsy taken (these people love to biopsy and culture)  Skin biopsy taken on her leg.

2:00 p.m.  I am called back to find a sleepy, grumpy thirsty child. 

3:15 p.m. home again. 

Now we wait until tomorrow.  Clinic 8:30 a.m.  and results.

While this process just sucks sometimes I was reminded of how difficult Cancer World could be.  I was waiting and a man asked the receptionist why he was there.  He had come from Mose Lake for some tests on his daughter and they were done in Bellevue this morning.  He and the family had been sent to Children's and did not know why they were scheduled to seems someone in the Hem/Oncology clinic. 

My heart sunk.  I introduced myself.  Gave him my card and just listened to his confusion and dispair.  We talked for a bit.  I don't think I helped but told him that he would in great hands.  As Mary-Elizabeth said:  They are newbies.

No matter what is happening and no matter how long we have been at this.  We are not at the beginning.  Not that beginning at least. 

No comments: