Blog Archive

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants/Star Wars and the great dividers

Tastefully handled (even though the child that had the fling with her coach is okay afterward because he comes to say he is sorry,) this is not the time I should be watching 12 year olds die of lukemia because they have stopped treatment. Little remembered side plot from a book I read a couple of years ago. It was not the most important point in the story at that time. Boy........ what a difference a moment in time makes.

It was fun going to the movies. I truthfully did not see a single guy there. They were watching weird futuristic creatures get decapitate. Oh well.

Star Wars has become the new Viet Nam. The rule used to be that you could not date anyone that did remember watching the body counts on the T.V. news. Now we have to change the rule. Only people that saw Star Wars in the movie theater in 1974? are allowed to date each other. I guess we need to stick together. I guess that is what makes us a generation our memories: the Beattles coming to America, Death 0f Kennedy, the First Walk on the Moon, Vietnam, Watergate, Kent State, Nixon Resigning, Death of John Lennon, The Berlin Wall coming down, Tineman Square, all of those sorts of things. I guess we all have moments that define our point of view and our lives.

Some outside events, some inside moments. We all get out own selection and if you are not present when they happen, they never quite affect your life the same way. I remember the death of Elvis but then he was not a central figure in my life. He is more a moment to look back on. There has been a lot of James Dean discussion but then I missed his time also. Frank Sinatra has a different affect on my mom then he ever did on me. The original Star Wars still makes me giddy. M-E and her contemporaries just complain about the fact it is not very glitzzy.


We are living through an event with M-E that will affect us like 911. It will color our perception of the world in a way that it won't be like everyone else. I have been so into this deep cavern for so long that I have not noticed how this has affected others. Most people try to keep it away from me. The 7th grade is doing a healing ceremony for M-E next week. She was a bit unsure about it but has agreed. I was discussing this with my mom and she said, "Sally you have to let them do it. People feel like they want to do something and there is nothing they can do. Nothing any of us can do but wait." I could sense the fear in her voice but also the great strength that is there. I guess that is why we have to hold each other extra close, listen extra hard and know that while there are lots of big plots swirling around us there are some little ones that mean as much ot some people.

We all saw the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It was a good movie, but just a very different movie for me.

No comments: