Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Feeling So Helpless, so what to do.

"Teresa has been given a cup of tea in the front hall of New Waterford General Hospital. The head nursing sister was the first to come across her. If it had been that nice young intern from away, the hysterical woman would have been given a shot in the vein instead of a cup of tea. The head nurse, however, has noticed whether they drink the tea or not, the mere act of reaching out to receive something that must not be spilled seems to have a profoundly calming effect on all but the downright insane." Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald

A child will a very aggressive and very rare, 300 a year,lymphoma is dying.  We saw her less than two weeks ago and she was going to have a bone marrow transplant and life was good.  Now she is saying goodbye. 

The news took my breath away.  We were at Children's for our first "after SCCA"  appointment.  It had not gone as planned so I was a bit Grumpy.  I saw Ruby's aunt and received the news. 

 My mind immediately went into overdrive and I was simply stymied.  What do we do for the parents of dying children?  Do leave them alone to grieve and spend the last few days with the most precious thing in their lives?  Do we go visit?  Do we give them gift cards? Do we do their laundry? Do we take them food? Do we do something? Do we do nothing?

I called my sister Belle.   I asked.  Her answer was "There is nothing you can do". Most people flee.  Most don't know what to do or what to say.  They simply flee.  We know what to do after someone dies but as a culture we certainly lack the "before" part.

Okay that was helpful..... NOT.  So I remembered a post I did a long time ago.  I don't remember the book but I remember the quote.  So here is what I am going to do. 

Anne Holm brought us three kinds of cookie dough.  We had not used it yet so last night Mary-E made all the cookies.  I am going to put them in a basket with some good china cups, some tea and take it to Kate.  The nurses have instant hot water and so when people come, they will be able to give people some tea.  

Something to not spill as the tears do.  A little something from a Mom who has been too close to the same situation, more than once. 

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Absolutely beautiful action and thought Sally.