Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

I sometimes hate learning things.


  • This week-end I learned a fellow BMT kid had relapsed.  I let myself believe relapse could not be possible.  I understood new cancers are a huge probability but after total body radiation and high dose chemotherapy resulting in the total death and destruction of the bone marrow it was over. 

    Heeeeeheeee.  I am wrong.  Sometimes it comes back and Doctors write about it and study it.


  • British Society for Paediatric Palliative Medicine


  • Approaching decision-making after bone marrow transplant relapse in acute leukamia

    Palliative care is not often found at a place like Seattle Children's hospital.  It is sort of like the food.  Lots of lip service an no real commitment.  Palliative care is best understood in Hospice realm.
    I have seen and I understand wanting to do one more thing, the magic thing that will make it go away. The magic deeply colored chemo just sitting on a shelf that will most certainly turn it around. I think as parents we just don't want to give up.  We brought these children into the world, we are not going to let anyone or anything take them out without a fight.
    This is a hard one.... A hard lesson to learn. 

    No comments: