Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

We saw Ellie Today

Every day at the hospital is a new adventure in many ways. We were there around 9:10, I do stop for a coffee and a snack so that I don't get too grumpy. (What a surprise, low blood sugar is not good for the brain.) Things went okay. Weighed in. She only lost a pound, blood draws, dressing changes, cartoon watching and lots of waiting. Lots of Chemo but we can report we are done with Asparagus shots. There are two more Pre Asparagus shots in October and November but not 9 in a row.

We were sort of antsy and then saw Ellie. Ellie was M-E's first roommate. She is 2.5 years old. She has a twin named Sam and her parents are architects. They found a tumor the size of a Grapefruit in her brain. She was in for treatment when M-E was first there. She is one sick little girl that has figured out some big people are not nice.

She and I became sticker friends. I gave her stickers and she was my friend. I was able to let her pick out a couple today. She smiled that great, sort of hesitant smile and said thank-you. She is obviously affected by the surgery and the treatment. She has such a pure pure smile. Then she turned to show her dad the stickers and I could see that she had Emla Cream on a spot on the top of her head. In cancer world that means she has a port of some sort and she was in for treatment. They are putting the chemo directly into her brain. I shuddered, counted my blessings, said an extra prayer for Ellie and then one for us.

Things are crazy. I cann't get stuff done in the way I used to be able to do it. I have this new nurse job and am not very good at it. I try but I am just not cut out for it. Nursing could use some streamlining. So why is it that the two kinds of insulin cann't mix in the same place as the Heprin? Do they just say no because they can or is there a good reason. How come no one can tell me the history of the variouse drugs other than Vincristine. (Made from Perriwinkle Plants.) Who was the first one to figure all this stuff out. In the old days I would have been looking this stuff up. As this point I just have to get through this evening. One Lovanox shot, I am not giving her insulin because she is not eating and I am now terrified of low blood sugar. Some oral pills, a heprin flush, a temperature and then we will see. But M-E does not have a port in her head.

The Bone Marrow is next Monday, the 13th of September. The "R" word we are hoping for is REMISSON.


No comments: