Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Everyone is RELIEVED

We all slept last night. I just went and crawled into bed after the Remission news arrived.

Lots of people think that we are now done. Well we would like to be done. Evidently you can get kids into remission with only Prenisone. You just can not keep them there. We will go through several periods of maintenance and something called Delayed Intesification. I have not really looked at that time because I have to get through the first phase. This is what I know.

The next 2 month phase of her treatment requires.

A. Two planned hospitalizations overnight
B. 16 IV doses of chemo in the clinic at the Hospital
C. 28 doses of oral chemo
D. 2 doses of Chemo for her Spine
E. 5 dose IV Vincristine ( Chemo)
F. 2 Pre asparagus Shots
G. 12 days of radiation 9 doses to the Brain, 3 to the Spine and 2 to the Spot.

So our next challenge is ahead of us.

My dad said that Mary-E will teach us a lot during this time. I know that she will.

I have learned that things are not as you expect or plan.

I have learned that when faced with more information than I can handle the only way to deal with it is to go to the Office Supply store. If you have enough notebooks the world is good. Tabs are very important and we are going to soon explore the concept of color coding. They may not make enough highlighters for my purposes.

I have learned that when faced with insurmountable problems, one step, one moment, one day, one more meeting with a doctor is enough. All the future information can just go into the "Information" Pile. You can never have enough bags in which to put your notebooks and office supplies.

I have learned that the world does not truly appreciate the concept of the three hole punch. Everything should come three-hole punched or there should be three hole punches everywhere like garbage cans or phones or bad pens.

I have found that it is possible to keep up on the laundry by doing a load a day.

I have found that there are many good cooks at St. Joseph's. They have been so great and supportive.

I have found that I am very greatful for a profession that let's me help people with solvable problems.

I have found I can handle a lot more than I thought I could. I think that if you can still have a sense of humor on day 30 of Lwequemia treatment you can survive anything. What could be harder than this? Do I want to know?

I know I am going for a hamburger just because. I have learned we need to do lots of "Just Because" things. You never know if you will have time for more of them

Tomorrow we are going to get my baby tatooed. Now there is something that was not on my list of "must haves".


No comments: