Blog Archive

Sunday, September 26, 2004

We Might be out of Here.

I have a cart ready and part of the packing done. We might be able to go home today. She made it through three does of her chemo in 12 hours. She survived a big dose of Lasix. Yes, she now understands the term: "Pees like a Race Horse" She was pretty busy for a couple of hours last night before bedtime. She is exhausted today and worried about school tomorrow but we will be home for a couple of days. She seems to bounce back but this is a lot to respond to in a very very short period of time.

I had a weird experience last night. Around 10:00 I was going to brush my teeth and walked by a room where there were lots of people and monitors and beepers going off. When I say lots, I mean there must have been 12 people in the room. Around 4 :00 am I was up using the same bathroom and the whole floor was empty. I did not see a single nurse. I went past the room and it was dark and the child's name tag was gone. I was very freaked by the silence and the emptiness of the floor. I did not go back to sleep for over an hour.

I finally summoned the courage to ask if they ever transferred kids from this floor somewhere else. I was told that the little boy had been transferred to ICU and was doing better.

Just add to my list: I don't want to have my child to be the attention of more than one nurse, an attending, a fellow, a resident or three, a medical student and nursing student at one time.


No comments: