Blog Archive

Sunday, September 11, 2005

What a Day

We all live in the shadow of some sort of impending doom. It is part of the human condition. Think about the fire fighters that are helping in the wake of Katrina! What a day they must be having.

We are just that human. We have no control over the world we share with our fellow creatures. We have made "advances" and "choices" that have affected the world. Each thing we do and each thing we don't do affects a huge web that surrounds us. We are so silly to think that we don't have a huge affect but we do.

I have watched the news and read the blogs and have felt more and more insignificant each day. I have been horrified at the images and the reports of the guns and bad behavior. I want these events to make us better people. To make us realize we must be kinder to each other. Being kind can make a difference.

I ran into Ellie the other day. She is the 2.5 year old that was M-E's first roommate. She was the child that had a brain tumor and a twin brother. She was so so sick during her chemo. M-E was so upset with how much pain and agony she had been in during their time together. Her parents always apologized for the crying and we always were so sad she was sick. She has hair, she had had some other problems and but is making progress. She looked a me and asked for a Sticker. I had alway given her one when we saw each them in clinic. She smiled and then grabbed something from her brother and that made me smile. I never thought twice about a small acts of kindness but she did.

I have found myself trying to be less rushed and more patient in my life. I have spent so much time worrying about M-E that I have taken my focus off the rest of the world. I am going to move my efforts towards the world a bit. Not much left over but there is always a moment to say something nice to someone or to be encrouraging. A smile goes a long way.

No comments: