Blog Archive

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Coffee Confessions


I have my Pete's coffee made in my Starbuck's Pot with a pound of French Roast from the Greenwood Market ( Free Trade of course) waiting to be openned. . I had a cup of office coffee from Cafe Vitero(?) yesterday and a cookie from Starbucks. I realize that I am not a good Seattle Coffee drinker. At this point (oh, let's get real, always) I drink what ever is on the corner.

Note to Cousin Jack: As much as we kid about Starbucks on every corner, it is not true. The hospital and the school and my office are perfect examples. In order to go to Starbucks we have to go down the elevator, to the street, down the block and cross two streets and then go inside another building. I confess, I love coffee but more than one street or an elevator ride is too much.

I am more interested in the cup. Now for the perfect coffee cup. It has to be huge. (Karianna says that in this family we don't drink cups of coffee, we drink tubs of coffee.) The cup has to be of ample size. 8 ounce cups are for measuring flour not for drinking coffee. It has to have a good feel, it has to be made of a china or fine stoneware so as to keep the coffee hot. It has to have the right handle. It has to be balanced. It has to be cute. I have been known to go to the Bon and buy one of 5 or 6 and try them out. Dad gets to sell the rest and it makes him happy. Very few are allowed to stay in the house.

Spode makes a nice mug. The large breakfast mug to be exact. The Sarah's Garden has nice ones but the best ones of all time were made by Royal Windsor. (See picture above.)

In 1970 while on a Debate trip, I bought 7 mugs. I still have a couple. Yes, one is the pencil holder due to a small chip. They were and are perfect. They lived and traveled with me to college, to Dietrich, to law school and to Seattle. Were were down to one that Mom would get out when she was here. We both had looked and looked for them for years. Flea Markets, antique stores, real stores. I asked for people to look in England, Canada. It was a futile search. Then the advent of E-Bay saved my life.

After some diligent searching, I found one, then another. I have a life times supply now. I keep looking. There is one for sale on E-Bay right now. Look under Royal Windsor Coffee Mug. So the long and the short of it, I am more concerned about the cup than the coffee.


Oh, yes, one more thing. There had better be some coffee in the morning or the world is not a "Happy Place"






No comments: