Blog Archive

Monday, April 23, 2012

Little Bits make Big Changes.

Blah blah blah.....  Nothing interesting other than giving back blood is alot harder than it sounds.  So be it. 

We are sort of at the end of a very intense, difficult relationship.  Lots of fury, passion, time spent together and then we have to learn to live with each other, with a bit more balance in our lives.  We are headed back to Children's and I have not quite figured out what that would look like yet.  No is saying and I am just not getting the answers I need.  I am sure there are no answers only team meetings and more discussion.

So this is an observation day.  This is a day when I look outside the fishbowl and see that there are lots of people like us.  People struggling with children with serious, difficult and complicated issues.  My friend Ann Holm had a couple of babes that left the womb way way too early.  March of Dimes was the group that rallied around them and gave them lots and lots of support.   She is doing a fund raising run and send out a message.

I wanted to do something for her in part to thank her for all the help in my transition away from Mikkelborg, her constant moral support and her great glutton free mac and cheese that fed me so many nights.  So, what to do. 

Go cheer her on?  No too many germy people that have touched children.

Write her a nice thank-you.  No, done that.

Give her money.  Not much of that around these days with this not working thing and the child still going to SCCA with a lot of appointments.

Oh, but I have the big jar of coins.  The coins that have been accumulating for the time that Mary-E and I can go somewhere out side of out small radius.  A special way to put a final ending to this transplant thing. 

Take the jar to the bank and have it counted?  No then it is just money.

Oh, but what if I took out the dimes and gave them to her.  It is the March of Dimes.  Oh, perfect.

So one afternoon, I sat at my desk, watching my favorite Friday Night Lights (learning to speak Texan and drink beer and eat BBQ) and sorted out the dimes.   It took a while.  I then put them in a French Jam jar and added a couple of the gold dollars I love so much. 

I picked up the jar and was amazed at how heavy it was and how substantial it felt.  Then I started to wonder who much was in the jar but I figured that would be something for the donation people to do.  Then I called Ann, dropped them off and then found it I left them at the wrong house but that is another story for another day.

Those little dimes, all gathered together in an apricot jam jar.  Some so simple.  Now I realize that even if there was $20.00 in the jar or more or less that alone won't make a big difference, but the power of joining the bits together really can change the world of some poor family facing difficult time.

Everyone has sent us so many "Dimes" and they have made a difference.

1 comment:

Ms Holm said...

We love the jar of dimes. And we love your support. And I love those gold coins for the boys. Happy to have them...they were grandma Willies favorite too, and she never got a chance to give them one. Thanks again!!