Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

One Down Two to Go...

Meb is in her bed. She is not allowed out until Thursday A.M. except to use the facilities and to  take her medication.  That is all.  She might be able to move to my bed but only if she figures out how to program my new Universal Remote.  It might work on everything but I certainly don't have the skills to have it work on anything.

LP (Lumbar Puncture)
IR (Intervention Radiologist)
IT (Chemo into the interthecal space)

We went to the hospital bright and early.  She was taken back.  Refused the pregnancy test AGAIN and then we met the Doctor. 

Hi my name is Doctor Evans and I will be doing the procedure today.

So Brian, who from Hem/Onc will be coming down to do the Chemo.

I will be doing the Chemo.

No you won't, only the chemo people do it. 

 Oh, okay. 

He left and we never saw him again.  Maybe he was doing another procedure.

I hope he knows that we fully figured out that he could have put the needle in and can do lots of other complicated procedures like sticking needles into places and taking tiny bits of things out but only our Hem/Onc peeps do Chemo.

It is always a fun adventure.  Never the same.   The one thing I can say is that for the most part people are trying to solve problems, be pro-active and make things better for patients and families. 

After the procedure I spent some time with Dr. Shaw who had been the attending.  He is a fan of this blog.  That of course made us instant friends. 


We talked about how great Children's was and how happy I had been with the facility and how much I supported it.  Someone had sent him my link and we had some exchanges of thoughts.

We agreed that it would be wonderful to be in a facility that lead the nation in making food as medicine a priority for it's kids.

I can't believe that the kitchen still serves instant mashed potatoes, poor quality white bread and ice burg lettuce on Hot Dog Day..... 

I would think that a place like Children's  would want to be leaders and to show the county how to make healthy good tasting choices not just dump bad processed stuff out of bags and call it food. 

Better food is on the way.....Yeah according to Lisa Brandenburg Interim President and COO it "We will get there in a few years"  My expectations for more than frozen corn and pre-packaged pizza are unrealistic.




I have to be honest. Sometimes this is all that works......   But never ever frozen corn.




No comments: