Blog Archive

Thursday, June 07, 2012

How to Handle the Sadness

You must sit with it.  Get to know it.  Learn what it has to tell you.  Let it explore your heart and your mind and your soul.  If you run from it, it will get you in a million ways.

It will make you eat all the ice cream.  It will make you ignore your laundry.  It will make you buy too many shoes, designer purses, dolls, china, houses, black pants, cars, plants that you don't have room for in your garden, trips to Vegas, DVD's, books, candles, I-Tune downloads, trips to Venice. 

All of those things are just distractions but then after awhile..... it just waits to creep in and then the cycle starts again and again and again.

We all have losses, some big, some not so big and some so big they are not possible to comprehend. They require really big time. Big houses, a million purses.  They need lots of a attention. Lots of time and then some more time.

I have come to learn about Tear Catchers.

This one was given to me by Jerry Tapia, my hair dresser.  It was made by two women from Seattle that have gained world wide fame for their work.  It is small and lovely and subtle.  It has yet to find a place in my house.  It will but  I hope never to need to use it for its intended purpose.  When a person dies, you fill this vessel with your tears and when it is full your grieving is over.

As children we are told that rain is God's tears.  When you think about it, those "tears" provide the earth with much needed life giving moisture.  Maybe if we thought of tears in that way, we would not be reluctant to hold them back.

On Monday I inquired about our friend who was dying.  Another mother and I shed some much required tears when she shared the news that Ruby had died.  It always takes my breath away and makes me more fearful for all that we know an love that are battling cancer.  Sometimes it wins and the worst part is it is sneaky.  

I don't think a tear catcher has been made that could hold the tears of Moms everywhere.  Maybe that is why the oceans covers so much of the world's surface.  



 





No comments: