Blog Archive

Monday, June 11, 2012

Some times Life Takes you by surprise even when you should know better

I made pasta sauce.  She ate a tiny bit.  Two hours later we were at Seattle Children's and she will be there a few days.   Was my food so bad that she wanted to eat Chef Walter's?

Things have been so good. So stable. Then, a perfect storm.  She had been tapering off her medicines given to address her GVHD (Graft vs. Host).  She took her last dose of Prednisone and in 12 hours she was in sever pain and in tears.

Two liters of fluid a dose of pain meds, lots of blood draws, an Xray.  I had hoped since she was feeling better we would be going home. Silly me.  Silly Silly me.  1:30 am we moved into a room on the Hem/Onc floor.  I was so shocked.  I asked if it was okay for me to go home and figure out what to do with the dogs and she went to sleep.

So here we are.  Is it GVHD. Did the girls get too rambunctious and decide to act up now that all the drugs keeping them at bay over that last few months?  Is it a bad case of stomach flu or a scary infection?  Is it my cooking?  We shall culture and scan and scope until they "eliminate" possible causes.

It should not be a shock.  She had been home since March 20th.  What was I thinking?.  Did I really think my child would go through this without additional admissions.  You bet I did.  I was sure we were done with the hospital stuff.  I had decided that this was the week.  The week we planned a trip to Eugene.  The week I concentrated on finding a new job.  The week I found a publisher for my ever growing mass of written work.  This was the week.....

This IS the week we do the hospital again.  It is a bit less intense.  She is sleeping, being off prednisone, even for a few days lets her sleep.  I am spending my time watching endless episode of Dark Shadows and doing needlepoint.  I am sleeping at home.  It is all good.

Okay, I can do that.  I can load the room with stuff that makes it more like home.  I can be witty and challenging for the docs.  I can........  I just don't want to do so. 

No comments: