Blog Archive

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Okay Her Graft is fine.... the side affects are a good thing, sort of.

So she is home.  The pain is subsiding. She is trying to catch up on her sleep.

I went to visit my UPS cousin and he was afraid that the Graft was failing.  Oh, my I had never thought about the graft failing.  Please know Ellie Mae is alive and well and doing her job.

She is doing such a good job that she is attacking Mary-Elizabeth's body.  The new cells don't like the body.  Doctor Paul(who eats Kangaroo) has not quite figured out how to make the girls get along.  So, instead of just getting on with life, Mary-Elizabeth has to be on steroids (times three) to teach them to get along. The steroids do double duty.  They help the body cope with the constant attach, decrease the new cells reaction and help the cereal people sell lots of cereal.

So more time with the nasty short term side-affects.  I of course worry about the long term ones as well.  The bone loss, the joint deterioration, the........  Don't ever read the label or any of the literature.

So we will go through this process again.  Lots of appointments, lots of late nights, lots of anxiety when she starts to taper. 

This last week was sort of a nightmare for me. While I did not stay in the hospital, it is clear that the hospital stayed in me.  I walk in that door and I am back, back in time to those months of the transplant.  It was like I had never been gone.  I knew everyone, re-connected to all the same folks that had worked so hard to get us back.  It drained the life out of me. 

I guess in the past few months the "transplant time" has been slowly put away.  Put somewhere in my brain where is was not a bother. Somewhere safe from my everyday thoughts.  We were returning to a less hectic life.  One more full of hope and less filled with worry and concern.

Okay, job for this week:  Make it through the appointments.  Repack the next trip to the hospital, just in case.  Repack the brain in such a way that when it all comes out again, it does not drain the life away from me so quickly.

I am not giving up on the food issue.  So beware.... Chef Walter, guess which picture has mashed potatoes that are fit to eat.........


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sally,
Aunt Mary looks so good!! I am so glad Mary-Elizabeth is doing better and I pray she'll stop having pain SOON!! I am always here if you need bone marrow, that is if I match and Bob's whole family has even said they'd get tested if you needed them too for Mary-Elizabeth!! We have a blog going on now as well, since Bob's fighting Prostate Cancer. Certainly makes a person humble that "C" word!! Give all my love to Mary-Elizabeth hug Aunt Mary for me and hug yourself for me as well!! Love, Lisa