Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hospital Food

So I love food.  We all know how much I love food.  I even let myself eat stuff that no one eats anymore.  I have been known to eat Kraft Mac and Cheese, I have added a hot dog to that on occasion.  I will have a Dick's Special and fries.   I love ice cream and red meat, and lots of other goodies. 

I am not a fan of Seattle Children's hospital food after the first couple of days.  Coming to the hospital is sort of like going camping.  You lessen your standards and just know that a serving of fried spam will not kill you and is sort of a treat.  So some bacon, (best thing they make) a toasted cheese sandwich.  A trip through the salad bar full of Macaroni Salad and pickled beets won't create too much havoc.  It is do-able on day one but by day 12, it is darn near impossible to swallow.

There are things that are good, tasty and even appetizing.  I think there is some basic food here somewhere but I don't find it very often.  Over cooked, over sauced, processed, dumped from a can, Michale Palin would have a hay day with this place.

Fruit, treated and dumped from a bag.  Salad, a bit dry around the edgedsm from a box.  Meat balls, I don't even want to think about it.  and that is all from the cafeteria.  Don't get me started on what comes to the room.

Nothing has been eaten off MEB's tray since she arrived.  I imagine 90% of the food that arrives on this floor has been thrown away.  Presentation.  Put all the food together, open the tray and AWWWWWGGG. 

Did you know that there is someone here that believes corn and canned ravioli are a good idea?  If French Toast is kept in the same place as the bacon it even falls apart.

I know it can be better.  I know because I have been to other hospitals.  Best lentil soup, U of W.  Best Salmon, Swedish, Best meat loaf, Sacred Heart.

I need a project, this is going to be mine.  I would buy food in the cafeteria if I could find some.  I know I am not in a time warp and it is out there, really close.  Fresh greens, green beans, real mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese........

We are going to be here for months.  I can't have leave every day to find food and bring something for Mary-Elizabeth to eat.  We have a tiny tiny space in the fridge so bringing food in all the time is a bit problematic.  This is going  to be a learning process.  I am going to learn. 

No comments: