Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New Words...... and the Recipe for Cinnamon Toast

Viridian Streptococcus

So not sure what it is but it does not sound good.  Every time she had a fever during ALL-Part 1, they drew lots of blood and then put them in these cool culture bottles and sent them off to grow things.  Never grew anything

Well in the spirit of ALL-Part 2, something is growing in the little jars.  Not only is it growing, it has a name.  I have not looked to see whether it makes toes fall off but I don't like the fact anything is growing AT all. 

She is sleeping right now.  I am going to work on organizing Bone Marrow Drives and waiting for her back poke.  She is going to be poked in the clinic and not in Surgery.  I think that will work much better and we will be more relaxed about it.  Lots of pokes have happened there.

As you know we face lots and lots of challenges.  One of them is with the hospital food.  As I mentioned 7 years ago, this is the place that "hospital food" came to hide lest anyone try to update.  This place is so 1950's.  White bread, chicken strips, Campbell's soup, iceberg lettuce.  I am sure  that the rational is that this is a children's hospital and of course we should have only food kids like. 

The message they have not heard is that kids have much more sophisticated pallets than before.  My daughter likes pizza but Paggliaci pizza.  She was raised on roasted beets and whole wheat bread, fresh fruit and real corn.  Something crafted from food not dumped out of a bag and called food.  

So yesterday she exercised her option to call and order what she really wanted.  I called and ordered Cinnamon Toast.  What could be more 1950's.  The answer:  We don't make that.  Well when I think about it of course they don't make it.  It does not come from a pre-ordered bag.    I sat on the phone and projected my:  I am going to come through the phone and remove your life force, energy and we started to do some problem solving. 

 It sort of went like this:  Do you have any spices in the kitchen?
Do you have any sugar in the Kitchen?
What if you just sent us some Cinnamon and some sugar packets and bread and butter?

See how easy that is?

Hope that killing our new friend Viridian Streptococcus is as easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My blood pressure was rising just thinking about the kitchen staff on the other side of the phone...please take care of yourself. I am sure it is near to impossible to stay calm, but you must try so that you do not end up in the same place!

SMB