Blog Archive

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Still Zero and I woke up with a cold.

So we are still at 0.  Zero. zip, nada, etc.  There are not Neutrophils floating around in her blood.  Neutrophils  are a special sort of White Blood Cell and when they start to rally it is a signal to the rest of the good cells to kick back into production.   She has been 0 for lots of days. 

If she woke up with an ANC (Actual Neutrophil Count) of 200 she could not go home today.  She has to do 14 days of the IV antibiotic she was was put on yesterday.  Good news, she was taken off the broad spectrum stuff, bad news it is a 3 a day IV and pretty hard to manage from home.  So Earliest out 13 days from today. 

Dr. Tracy arrived yesterday and spent the night. At 3:00 am I woke up with a cold.  I don't even know what to do now. It will be gloves, mask and gown for me today while I am in the hospital.  I need to figure out this a bit better.   I guess it was bound to catch up with me.  The last thing Mary-Elizabeth needs is a virus. 

Mom and Alex shows up today.  There are other folks that will step in.  Time to not only call in the troops and let them do something.

2 comments:

waleed said...

Mary Elizabeth needs to get up and going so I can come and we can enjoy that gourmet cook thT you are. I will even eat mear. ; )

Nonna Madonna said...

The lion has been temporarily side-lined. Grandma Mary and Uncle Alex are stepping up. They are not exactly the second string, and they know what to do for M-E. Take a deep breath and a paw full of Vitamin C. Refer to my earlier instructions about taking care of yourself. Square that. Times nine. You are no good to her if you go down. I am on my way to see the kids. I will return mid-November but will follow the blog whenever I get near a computer or wi-fi. Meanwhile, think healthy, eat healthy, be healthy. And consider introducing some laughter into her grim situation ala Norman Cousins. If her hospital room is home for now, maybe you can hook a CD player into her TV monitor? and distract her. And maybe it is best to take your threats to disembowel incompetent staff aways down the hall. She knows you are her champion but it might make her squirm to hear you being so fierce. My apologies for the stream of advice but I feel pretty useless sitting here thinking about you fighting for your only. It hits me where all mothers of onlies live, right in the world's greatest fear zone. Arms around, big hug. Susan