Blog Archive

Friday, January 06, 2012

Day 10

so I really really felt a need to run away.  There is a bunch of anxiety surrounding the upcoming transplant.  So when I get anxious I eat, or shop or try to sleep when I don't need too or just move things from one place to another. 

So yesterday I just wanted to be away but when I am away I feel like I need to be not away.  It is quite a conundrum.  So I started to look at the places I might want to go.  Down town spa hotels, suites, or maybe the ocean, or maybe Vegas or maybe ...........  It was fun but did not seem to make that anxious feeling go away. 

Then something sort of cool happened.   I had heard about a place in New York called the Purgatory Pie Press.  Each year they make a date book.  Long-stitch leather bound datebook, printed from reused vintage hand set wood and metal type onto up-cycled obsolete sea charts. Week-at-a-glance datebook, inter-office envelopes stitched in for pockets. Each binding is unique--various leather and thread colors available. Leather is by-product from New York City's fashion industry. Map paper is one-sided--so some pages are white, others are random maps.The paper is re-used, so imperfections abound--but we love them. We have made a limited edition datebook every year since 1980 (for 1981) at Purgatory Pie Press. This signed and numbered edition is limited to 36 copies. Designed by Esther K Smith--hand-set wood and metal type and letterpress printing by Dikko Faust

Since I had heard the story very early in the A.M. I got up and looked up the story on the web, found the name... Purgatory, seemed so apropos.  Then I did a quick search and found that they sold them on Etsty.  None were found so I e-mailed Esther.  She told me she would look.  I told her I understood that they might not be available but thanked her. I figured that if they only make 36 of these guys that I would be out of luck but would make sure I snagged one next year. 

So yesterday as I was sitting at the SCCA, I received an e-mail and Esther, my new best friend in New York, and she had found one and put it on Estsy.  Thanks to my I-Phone (thanks Maggie and James) I was able to secure the item immediately.  The Date book is on the way. 

 Sort of funny how the desire to leave just left.  I guess they don't call it Retail Therapy for nothing. 

So we then went to the Space Needle for a great lunch.  Full of Tourist types but fun and a perfect day.  Food was really really good.  Cannot beat the view. 



4 comments:

Cassandra said...

I want one!!!!!

M Scribner said...

Etsy is so important. What SCCA Apts are you in? Does the address start with a 207? If so, a great friend of mine from college is staying there and you should meet him!

AnneK said...

I think we ALL could be, literally, on the same page, with you both. I have spoken with Esther at Purgatory Pie Press, and, if we can get orders for 20 ($112 each), she will do a special Mary-Elizabeth run. Like Mary-Elizabeth, they will be a little bit different than Sally's. I will take orders and do the work to make this happen. Please let me know if you would like to journal along with us. Then, in celebration, we can order the 2013 edition to continue journaling our gratitude for the miracles we are about to witness. Love you both so, so much!

Lori Mann said...

M-E and I went to the Space Needle during one of my visits (maybe the tulip one) while you went to a quilt exhibit. That's the one and only time I've been there.