Blog Archive

Monday, January 30, 2012

Day +5 and +6 working for solutions

So, we are working toward finding ways to handle the side effects.  They come despite the way that everyone works very hard to keep things from happening.  Nausea, emisis ( throwing up)  pain from hick-ups, pain from swallowing, pain from eating.  Pain. 

She has finally been put on a PCA; a devise that dispenses pain medication as needed. It makes a difference almost immediately.  It won't let her overdose and will keep track of when she needs it.

I am finding I don't do well when she is in pain.  I don't like it, it makes me grumpy, it puts me on edge, it makes me unhappy.  I must keep myself very busy and will keep stringing cranes.  I am up to 172 but must continue to string. 

The doctor said not to expect any new cells from Ellie May or Pearl Ann for a couple of weeks or more.

So... Waiting, shopping in Seed Catalogs, working on some thoughts for a survival guide and listening to people and just waiting.... 

Things that have made the world better.  Mail from friends and family.  Chicken Pot Pie, mac and cheese, Fun books, prayer chains, good salad, visits, prayers, prayers, lots of purell.

So we wait for the second disk of Here Come The Brides.  More research on the real story, looking for more beads, thinking of ways to make each day pass productively.... 

3 comments:

fly fishing girl said...

Sally:

Dio you have a DVD player there? Can I bring by Downton Abbey? Are you watching the second season or have you watched the first? It's Brideshead Revisted even better! Let me know.

Kim

Candi Merrill said...

Audio books are a wonderful way to pass the time. If you have access to a CD player, I'd be happy to send you books. Or, you can order from audible.com and put them on an ipod or burn them to CDs.

As to movies...we found it difficult in the hospital because of the constant interruptions. But 30- 60 minute TV shows worked great. Again, let us know what you have access to and if you'd like to have something sent.

Anonymous said...

My wife the cancer nurse advises that days 3 through 10 will be horrible, which is apparently standard. As is the good news, by day 14 most of these side effects should be gone.
Just a Ballard Atty.