Blog Archive

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day -2..... Little Steps

I think we can rest assured that I am not a process person.  Process takes too long, talking and meeting and thinking and committees and more considering and then a chart is made and then we think some more.  I am more of a Niki person.  JUST DO IT.

So here I find myself stuck in an endless process.  the rules, did I mention the notebook of rules.  No lettuce unless each leaf has been washed.  Purelle in and out of the room.  Don't stand on a scale unless it has been Cloroxed.  No leaving the floor.  Walk at least 4 times a day but don't go near anyone.  Don't go into the room.  Don't use your buckie lest you burn yourself. Do drink gallons of water, but make sure you tell how much.  We do this and then this and then we do this....  Endless Process. 

 But I am not complaining.  I am beginning to understand how someone can bond with the process. 

Of course I do want to know how the process came about, who thought it up, how did they decide that radiation had to be at least 6 hours apart but it was okay if it was 9 hours apart.  How did they decide on little doses twice a day for 4 days and not one really big dose.  How did they decide that CytoxIn was okay in ______ dose but if given in _______ dose it would kill the bone marrow and not just slap it down.  Why one chemo before the other. Why start drug A on day -3 and drug B on day +4. 

It baffles me but for once in my life I am not questioning what they are doing.  I might be doing a healthy dose of WHY is the sky blue but I am here for the entire process.  These folks, the docs the nurses, the snack guys have  that certain sort of fear that sits in their posture and the back of their eyes and in their hugs.  It tells me that the process is all that we have.  It is this or nothing.  There are not short cuts, no easier way.  This is our path. This is our journey.

So that being said, I of course have to tackle the stuff I might be able to change.  My dear friend Lori suggested that Little Steps.  I am all for big giant, colorful swift change.  So taking her advice, I am going to suggest that this week Seattle Children's Hospital, JUST SAY NO TO ICEBERG LETTUCE.  Not a big step.  I suspect that there should be a simple matter of unchecking a box on an order sheet or a computer screen and checking another screen. 

This is Iceberg lettuce sent to Meb last night.  Begin the chant... Just say no to Iceberg lettuce....

2 comments:

Candi Merrill said...

Soon Mary E. will have the LAST radiation she'll ever have to have, the LAST dose of chemo. And then you can focus on the healing.

Anonymous said...

You are so not alone. Every time I think of you, day and night - out goes another Our Father. Listen up, dude.
Love,
Roslyn