Blog Archive

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day -5 Really.... Now her bone marrow wants to work????

So she is done with her chemo.  She had 5 doses of chemo.  Since arrival her counts have done nothing but go up except the platelets and they are still not dropping precipitously.  Here is the trend

White Blood Count  5.0  5.2  6.3
Platelets                      186 193 178
Hematocrit                 29.0 30.8 32.9
ANC                          3865  3957  5922

I had not asked for count reports because I am trying to disconnect from this version of her immune system I helped create.  It has failed.  Sort of like saying good by to a car you have loved but it has to go to the recyclers.  I was not concerned about what the "original" system was doing only thinking a head to the new one that has to be trained and cajoled and re purposed...  

Little did I know that the old one was giving it one more big try.  Under the old rules, we could have gone for sushi, had a pedicure and licked a few door knobs. 

I guess it is good to know that the body fights back when it is under attack. On some cellular level her body knows that if it does not fight back it will loose the ultimate battle. It is sort of incredible to watch.  The wonder of the human body.  NASA was not the only organization that has back up systems.   Maybe our will to live is not an emotional one.  Maybe it is so part of who we are it at at cellular level.

Back to sleep for MEB, I am going to get some coffee and try to figure out what I can get her to eat today....

No comments: